What Are Custom Orthotics?
If your feet could talk, they would tell you there’s a lot more to keeping them happy than the occasional foot massage or a pair of woolly socks on a cold winter morning in St Albert. Those 26 small bones in each foot takes a lot of daily abuse, carrying your body weight while being caged up in a hot, confining, and often uncomfortable (although very fashionable and trendy) shoe.
As the saying goes “out of sight, out of mind”, we don’t pay much attention to our feet. However, as soon as we begin to feel pain in our feet, it can quickly become hard to ignore. Foot pain is not normal.
Your feet impact the biomechanics of your entire body including your knees, hips and joints. Your feet are a direct reflection of your general health. It’s time to give some TLC to your feet before it’s too late! With the right fit, most common foot pains can be relieved and prevented from footwear and orthotics.
If you’ve ever experienced foot pain, strain or live with imbalance then you may want to consider using custom orthotic devices. These corrective footwear devices are created based on the precise shape of your foot. Custom orthotics or also known as foot orthoses can help in rehabilitating an injury as they improve gait and make sure each foot is in the proper position.
St Albert Custom Orthotics team make custom shoe inserts that correct the motions of the feet by realigning the angles at which your feet strike the ground when you are walking. Also referred to as arch supports, orthotics can improve posture, provide lasting relief from pain and stress in the feet, knees, hips and back while allowing you to stand, walk and run more efficiently and comfortably.
What Foot Related Conditions Can a Custom Orthotic Treat?
You might be surprised at the direct impact your feet can have on the rest of your body. Like the foundation of a house, your feet support the weight of everything above them. When a small problem develops in your feet, a subtle change in the way you walk can cause a chain reaction that alters your posture and movement mechanics. Custom orthotics St Albert treatments for foot have proven to be effective in providing powerful relief from following foot ailments:
- Achilles Tendonitis/Tendinosis
- Bunions (Hallux Valgus)
- Corns and Calluses
- Flat Feet (Pes Planus)
- Hammer Toe
- Hip Bursitis
- Jumper’s Knee & Runner’s Knee
- Knee cap tracking issues (Patellofemoral syndrome)
- Leg Length Imbalances
- Lower Back Pain
- Pain in the ball of the feet
- Pelvic Instability
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Shin Splints
- Stiff big toe (Hallux Limitus)
- Tired Feet
- Irregular foot motion
- Ankle disorders
- Other types of foot pain
What Are the Benefits of Getting Custom Orthotics?
- Covered by most insurance plans
- Corrects and realigns body posture
- Prevents overuse injuries
- Relieves pain in feet, knees, hips and back
- Reduces tiredness and fatigue in feet
- Steady and even pressure exerted on the feet during each step
- Treat and prevent biomechanical disorders
Custom Orthotics Cost: Are they covered by insurance?
Extended health plan may cover the cost if you need to have custom orthotics. Often, this will require a prescription from your doctor that your foot requires an orthotic device. If you want MVMT Physio & Chiro to provide your custom-made orthotics, it would be a good idea to give us a call first before going to your doctor’s appointment. We can give you the heads up on what information is needed from your doctor for your initial appointment with us.
- Aside from an official prescription, some medical insurance companies might also require other information before allowing you to claim insurance for custom orthotics. This may include:
- The type of raw materials to be used in making the orthotics
- The method for casting
- Statement of account for the custom orthotics
- Biomechanical gait analysis
What to Expect During Your Orthotic Appointment?
A custom orthotics session is a great way to make sure your feet are correctly aligned and functional during work or the morning run, and custom made orthotics can be used as well. If you’ve been having a persistent pain in your back, knees, ankle or any other foot conditions, it’s time to talk to MVMT Physio & Chiro about if orthotics is the right treatment for you. During your consultation appointment our foot care professionals will do the following:
- An analysis of your legs, knees and back will be done. This will show how the feet impact the body as a whole.
- The feet will be analyzed for a specific biomechanical issue, foot type, foot patterns, foot mobility, all other types of foot mechanics, and gait abnormalities.
- An accurate 3-dimensional casting of your feet will be performed to ensure the most accurate and effective orthotic device for you.
- The custom fit orthotics will take a week to be ready for pick up.
Why Choose Our St Albert Edmonton Team?
Say goodbye to foot pain and put your best foot forward! At MVMT Physio & Chiro, our cutting edge therapists don’t just focus on the orthotics alone.
After a thorough gait analysis and a range-of-motion exam, we look at your whole story. This includes the footwear you are currently wearing and how it has impacted your entire body. We believe that it is important to address what your feet are capable of doing before a custom foot orthotic device is made to correct your foot ailment.
Moreover, along with prescribed custom orthotics, we employ a variety of treatments including physiotherapy , compression therapy and general foot care education to alleviate pain relief and improve mobility while also helping to prevent common foot ailments in the future.
Make Your Shoes More Comfortable With Us
There is no such thing as an average foot, so a one-size-fits-all “shoe insert” from a drugstore is not a solution for foot pain relief. We offer foot care solutions such as prescribed custom foot orthotics, orthopedic shoes, arch supports and plantar fasciitis insoles. Custom orthotics are good for your feet and great for your sole!
Contact us to put your best foot forward!
Proudly serving the St Albert and Edmonton communities, we have helped over 12,420 patients since 1992. Get pain relief and start feeling better today!
MVMT Physio & Chiro