What is Athletic Taping?
Has an injured muscle or tendon make you feel slower or weaker than normal? If you’re an athlete or work in a profession that requires physical labour, preventing your body free of tension and pain is essential for peak performance. Don’t let pain sideline you! That brightly colorful tape that you see on the arms, legs and torso of beach volleyball players and Olympic athletes are more than just a fashion trend. When applied correctly by a physiotherapist or kinesiologist, supportive taping can help support injured joints, worn muscles, overstretched ligaments and nearly every body part in-between.
There are three types of supportive taping that can be used depending on your type of injury:
- Athletic Tape (Sports Tape)
Used for immobilizing a joint and offers a very high level of support such as preventing a knee twisting or ankle rolling in a specific direction.
- Elastic Strapping Tape – Used to support joints where the physiotherapist wishes to control the ratio between support and flexibility. The material allows a certain amount of stretch lengthwise.
- Kinesiology Tape (“K” Taping) – A flexible and adhesive tape that lifts both the layer of skin and the attached tissue covering the muscle so that blood and lymphatic fluids can circulate more freely in and around the injured area.
What Injuries Can Athletic Taping/Kinesiotaping Treat?
Individuals with muscle, joint, ligament, and nerve problems can greatly benefit from kinesio tape or athletic taping. These conditions include:
- Achilles Tendon
- Delayed onset muscle soreness
- Herniated discs
- Improve posture
- Knee Pain
- Muscle Fatigue
- Muscle Swelling
- Plantar Fasciitis
- Rolled and Sprained Ankle
- Shin Splints
- Sprained Ankles
- Tennis Elbow
What Are The Benefits of Athletic Taping?
- Alleviate spasms and cramps
- Ease inflammation
- Effective pain relief/management
- Enhance blood flow
- Improve lymphatic drainage
- Increase performance while recovering from injuries
- Injury prevention and support
Why Choose pt Health Sturgeon Valley for Athletic Taping?
Incorrect taping may lead to blistering or future injuries. Don’t take the chance! Serving the St. Albert and Edmonton area, our experienced physio therapists have the knowledge and skills to apply the taping best suited to achieve your goals. Our physios are trained in applying traditional athletic tape, elastic strapping tape as well as K tape. When we look at your injury, we will determine if taping is appropriate and if so, which method would best serve you.
Whether you’re training for your first marathon, reaching a personal fitness goal, or just trying to get through a physically laborious day at work, nothing slows you down faster than pain and injury. Contact us for your supportive taping needs, as “there’s nothing a little tape can’t fix!”
Proudly serving the St Albert and Edmonton communities, we have helped over 12,420 patients since 1992. Get pain relief and start feeling better today!